Heber and Overgaard, in northeastern Arizona (are) in Navajo County. Situated in the Sitgreaves National Forest north of the Mogollon Rim, their elevations range from 6,435 feet in Heber to 6,620 feet in Overgaard. Both are unincorporated. The communities are reached by taking state Highway 87 to Payson (north from Phoenix or south from Interstate 40), and continuing east via state Highway 260.
During the Mormon migration in 1876 and 1877, the Little Colorado River settlements were established. James E. Shelley and Sanford Porter, Jr. founded Heber in 1883. Heber was named after Heber J. Grant, a prominent member of the Mormon Church. The post office in Heber was established in 1890 by James E. Shelley.
Overgaard, adjoining Heber, was originally called Oklahoma Flat and was later named after the first sawmill owner. The post office in Overgaard was established in 1938.
The Heber/Overgaard area is surrounded by many year-round recreational opportunities and points of scenic interest. Immediately south of Heber and Overgaard is the Mogollon Rim, a steep escarpment ranging from 1,000 to 2,000 feet from the base to the highest plateau. The Rim divides the northern plateau region from the lower central and southern areas. The Rim offers many exceptional views and numberous man-made lakes ideal for boating and other water sports.
Hunting for elk, deer, turkey, antelope and bear is permitted. Fishing, in nearby trout streams in popular. There are also extensive picnic and camping facilities available within the area. Other scenic attractions in the area include Chevelon Canyon Dam, the Canyon Creek Fish Hatchery, Chevelon Butte, and the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. The 200-acre Mogollon Lake three miles east of Overgaard is in the planning stages.